Monday, November 5, 2012

Homemade Holiday Week 1: Magic Custard Pie


Not too long ago I was flipping through my copy of Real Simple magazine when I came across an article about holiday pies. I studied the pages and read over each recipe. There is something wonderful about holiday desserts, especially pie. Pie just isn’t something that you make just because. No sir, leave that to cookies and cakes. Pie is special.

I’m not a great baker, though. I can make a decent “homemade” apple pie, complete with store-bought crust. I’ve made a total of maybe three pies, in my whole life. But as our family gets bigger and older, I wanted to start certain traditions to enjoy each year. Both Brian and I had lots of traditions growing up and we both treasure those memories. And I do love to eat, so the idea to make one pie a week during the holiday season (November – December) was born! That’s EIGHT different pies.

I dog-eared the article and tucked away my Real Simple magazine and went off to find a nice pie recipe to start with. I figured I should start with something easy that I couldn’t foul up too terribly. I have a Pinterest board that’s dedicated to food, like, legit food I want to get in my belly, so I started there. I found this easy recipe for Custard Pie, and it looked easy enough and definitely delicious. I love custard-based desserts, they are not too sweet, but just perfect.

Sunday was a busy day, but I gathered up my supplies and mixed them according to the directions (*my “blender” was really a magic bullet, which worked fine!). It smelled yummy, and I only briefly panicked that it would end up a runny mess before I popped it in the oven.

About 70 minutes later I pulled her out steaming with the most glorious sweet milky scent waiffing off to golden crust. I set her on the kitchen counter to cool and then moved her to the fridge for about an hour longer.

After a quick dinner I couldn’t wait to dig in. My knife sliced through the light filling and cut right through to the glass dish. I wedged a piece out of the pie plate and served myself with a cup of hot chai tea.

The first bite absolutely melted in my mouth. The top was slightly firm, and the crust was just right. It reminded me of a Sunday afternoon. Like a dessert you’d have after a big southern comfort feast with family. In fact, if I could rename this recipe, it would be called Sunday Afternoon Custard Pie, or maybe Absofreakinglutelyamazing Custard Pie. It’s a toss up.
I called Brian over for him to try my first creation and he gobbled up a giant slice of his own. I’d definitely call it a win! I read that you can add a few more ingredients and the recipe makes a great bread pudding, my favorite dessert! I’ll try that soon too.

A day later, I find myself craving that pie as I sit at my work desk. I’m pretty proud of myself for trying something new and it boosted my confidence to attempt a more complex recipe next week. I’ve narrowed it down to a few choices. I only wish that we had more people to share the pie with. I guess now is a great time to start getting to know the neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment