Friday, August 3, 2012

Toy Cabinet

For weeks I have been trolling craigslist looking for an affordable buffet/sideboard/dresser option to put in my living room to stow away loose toys and puzzle pieces. I'm on a pretty limited budget, so when most everything in my area was coming in at around $400+ I started to work on coming to terms that maybe that dream was meant to die. A slow. painful. death.

One day I was trying to kill the last 15 minutes of work clicking through the antiques section and I saw this baby and instantly fell in love AND, it was only $100. I sent a quick reply to the seller gitty with excitment and anxious that it might not be available afterall and that the universe was just pulling a terrible joke on me... again.

But it WAS available. So I made plans with the seller to pick it up on the weekend and this baby was mine!


When I got it home and examined it my heart started to sink when I realized that it wasn't exactly in the best condition. The legs practically crumbled off and several pieces of the wood had chipped off. At first I was angry at myself for getting blinded and not inspecting it further, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

The first thing I had to do was basically rebuild the legs with wood filler and glue. It worked surprisingly well. After that I filled in the chipped and broken pieces with wood filler and sanded her down before painting. It took about two coats of paint that I had left over from my bathroom renovation. Then I used some bronze acrylic paint and filled in the carved accents.




I may eventually distress it a bit, but I kinda love the color. This picture really doesn't do the nice vintage green color justice. I know it's not perfect, but I don't think it's bad for my first try at fixing up furniture, do you?

I know it will get lots of love once we fill those bottom drawers and the three inside the doors with treasures from my 4 year old and 1 year old. I'm very happy with the way it came out and can't wait to take on my next project.


1 comment: