Saturday sucked. From the moment we rose from the bed to the evening we just couldn't get it right. I snapped at Brian about the dog and we argued off and on about a series of things that were so unimportant that I've since forgotten what they were. We tried our best to forge through the day, each saying we'd start the day over around noon but we couldn't shake the weird unfamiliar fog between us.
I felt so consumed by bitterness, it ate my stomach and behind my eyes. We just couldn't get it right. I know I apologized a million times and him the same. We went to bed anxious for a new day to begin.
Sunday was different. A do-over. A relief. I kept the kids home with me while Brian went to church since Leah was still recovering from Hand, Foot and Mouth, and we ran errands and visited an old friend and then got ready for a special date night that we had planned weeks before. The sitter came to watch the kids and we ran off in our fancy clothes for dinner at Kirby's.
We got to spend a few hours talking and stuffing our faces with our favorite foods. We talked about the future, about our dreams, and about happiness. It was my favorite everything. We both ordered non-steak dinners at an expensive steak restaurant and we laughed at the irony.
I admired my man in his blue sweater and khaki's for the amazing partner he is, and despite all of the ways that I fail him, he still loves me. He puts up with me, all of me, which is a lot to handle. And he makes me feel beautiful, absolutely beautiful. He tells me so every. single. day.
Yep, he's a keeper.
We left the restaurant with just enough room in our bellies for dessert and stopped by the Cheesecake Factory for a take-out sugar fix. (Chocolate, and it was AH-MAZING.)
Then we got home and sat ourselves in on the couch in our date night clothes after kissing the babies goodnight and watched the last bit of the Olympics while sharing a fork. I love my husband because he always gives me the last bite.
Saturday was good.
But there are no pictures because we kept our phones put away and captured the evening in memories focused on each other. And I remember it just as it was, perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment