Thursday, December 22, 2011

Leah 2011 Christmas Letter



Dear Leah,

You are my precious baby girl. Intrinsically, so female with a love for sparkle and shiny baubles, so perfectly fitting for my bright star.

A whole year later and I’m still often caught in disbelief that *I* have a daughter, me, and I get to be your mommy. The novelty of having a mini version of myself has not worn off. No, it would be a lie to say that I don’t look forward to dressing you every day. A wardrobe that would rival any fashion forward woman and you can’t even yet walk! We rarely go anywhere without getting a thousand compliments on your outfits or sweet smile.

You are my beloved baby and tiny sidekick. A true “mama’s girl,” it is a rare moment when you are not connected to me. It makes my heart happy (a little bit, okay, maybe a lot) when you choose me over daddy to snuggle.

This year you got to experience many of your “firsts,” including first roadtrip, airplane ride, pedicure, photoshoot, and all of the normal baby milestones. I look back over the photos over the previous year and the many adventures you’ve accompanied us on and I cannot imagine this life without you.

By far my biggest joy has been watching the relationship between you and your brother. You idolize him and love him in so many ways, and he loves you. I melt into a giant messy puddle when I see the two of you playing together. I am giddy with excitement at the prospect of how your stories may be woven in the future. I pray for him and you to always be close and to help each other navigate this life on earth.

One of our favorite family things we like to do is dance, doesn’t matter where we are or what music is playing. Your body explodes into bouncing giggles at the sound of music. Your daddy and I swoop you into our arms and groove around the house and you just laugh and laugh and laugh. It’s infectious. I want to bottle up your joy and carry it with me always.

Determination is one of your strongest qualities. You have an amazing amount of tenacity to accomplish what it is you set your mind to. Driven by a desire for cake (be still my heart), you took your first steps. (Girl has got her priorities straight!) Just the other day I caught you trying to climb into the rocking chair by yourself, a giant feat for someone under two feet tall.

Mama loves to rock you to sleep at night. We sing three songs, usually He’s Got the Whole World, Jesus Loves Me, and You are My Sunshine. Then we say our prayers where I ask God to protect you always and to guide you in your life and in your walk with Jesus, that He’ll bless you in so many ways, that you’ll know that whenever your world is shaking that you’ll never leave His hands, and to help me to mother you as best I can. You still suck your tiny thumb to sooth yourself into a slumber. It’s delightful beyond words.

I always knew in my heart gut that I would have a baby girl. I prayed for you before you were born and now I shout prayers of Thanksgiving for you. My world was wonderful when it was just your daddy and brother, but it’s like an entire other world was opened up and my total being was fulfilled because you came into my life. I have said that your brother is my heart, but you, darling, are my soul.

Your daddy and I love you very much.

I love you with my whole heart.

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment