What an amazing year this has been for you. To watch your three year old spirit burst with excitement in whatever you do has to be the biggest joy in my life as a parent. I am intoxicated by the pure happiness in your soul. My greatest hope is that you never lose that zeal for your passions in life.
Not a day goes by that you don’t make me smile. You have a great ability to be empathetic to others, sensing when they are sad or hurt. Often I see you bring hugs to others. You share your toys or do something silly, just to cause someone to laugh. You go out of your way to deliver happiness.
I remember being very sick and upset one day at home. I was stressed and anxious from a hard day and fatigued from anguish. I remember crying out in a mess of hot stuffy tears and you ran to me, wrapping your tiny arms and squeezing my legs in the biggest bear hug that a 23 pound child could muster. You leaned in close on my chest and laid your head on shoulder, melting those problems away.
Another time when we were visiting your papaw and mamaw in Virginia papaw was very sick with Lyme disease. Sulking into the chair in the living room you crawled up in his lap and laid there with him, willing him as best you could to feel better.
You look for opportunities to engage with other people. Needless to say, you are VERY friendly. You see past appearances to greet those eyes around you. It’s as if you don’t see color, age, or status, but just the person in front of you. From beggars to celebrities, all people are equal to you. I know many grown adults could learn from you, sometimes even me.
Your favorite person in the whole world is your papaw, my father. Nothing makes you happier than to talk to him on the phone or over Skype. The two of you are best buddies, playing games, wrestling, going fishing, roasting hot dogs, making smores, you just love your papaw. It warms my heart to see that relationship grow. You guys get to do all of the fun stuff that I did with him when I was a kid. How cool is that?! My favorite picture that I have is of the two of you, walking hand in hand along the road. Papaw loves you very much, Nolan.
During the summer months you and I had a special ritual every evening, our nightly walks. Sometimes we would just take a short walk around the block, enjoying the warm night air, pointing out cars, looking at the stars, making up silly songs, and racing. Sometimes looking forward to those walks at night would be the only thing getting me through a tough day at work. Sometimes it’s hard for mama to have to work. I am thankful that we still get time in the evening to hang out and spend time together.
In August you turned three. While your strong willed spirit is prone to challenge authority occasionally, it’s been a joy to see how you have matured and your sweet disposition shine. I’m not going to sugar coat and say that it always been easy to parent you, but it’s a part of our story that I wouldn’t trade for anything. The terrible twos may have lived up to their name, but three, three is awesome.
Nolan, I look forward to this next year in 2012 and what it has in store for us. Our family would not be where we are today without you in it, and we have so much to look forward to because of you. It is with great hope that I am thrilled about seeing you develop into a young man over this next year. You have an amazing zeal for worship and prayer. Your daddy and I are gearing up to guide you in your relationship with Jesus Christ. I hope you that you never give up on that.
It’s my prayer for you that you’ll remain independent and strong in your way. I hope you always pursue what makes you happy, listening to your heart and staying true to who you are. You are capable of so much, and with your unstoppable character and tremendous charisma, there is nothing, absolutely nothing that can stand in your way. Know that your daddy and I will always be behind you cheering for you.
You’ve made my world so much brighter, wider, better. I am who I am because I am your mother. YOU made me a mother. You and your sister are my whole heart.
I love you.
Momma
No comments:
Post a Comment