He slid down the bed on his daddy's side and tried to run off before I called to him. His little body stopped in his tracks and he turned that angel face around to me. He came to my side and then sat in my lap. I rubbed his hair gently and he curled into my shoulder. I rocked him back and forth for a second. My eldest child, my first baby.
I told him how proud I am. I told him how grown up he's gotten, barely a baby... but always my baby.
He breathed a long and satisfied sigh. And his eyes slipped closed. I held him there for a moment longer and then laid him between his daddy and me.
I wrapped my arm around his waist and closed me eyes.
And I breathed my own satisfied sigh.
Linking up with Just Write.
This sounds like me with my son almost every single night! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful. As hard as those last nights are, there's little more precious than holding your little one close to your heart.
ReplyDelete"I told him how proud I am. I told him how grown up he's gotten, barely a baby... but always my baby."
ReplyDeleteyeah. that. I have a seven year old 'baby' of my own and can completely relate.
Beautiful writing and beautiful photograph - they don't sit still very often those boys...